Intrigued by something you’ve read on NYC Nature News and want to find out more? This is the place! Plus, you can support NYC Nature News by purchasing through our store powered by Amazon.
BOOKS/General nature and places:
- Going Coastal New York City: A Guide to the Waterfront, by B. LaRocco, published 2004 by Going Coastal.
- Field Guide to the Natural World of New York City by Leslie Day, published 2007 by Johns Hopkins University Press.
- New York Wildlife Viewing Guide, by F. Knight, published 1998 by Falcon Publishing.
- Wild New York: A Guide to the Wildlife, Wild Places, and Natural Phenomena of New York City, by M. Mittelbach and M Crewdson, published in 1997 by Three Rivers Press.
- The Birder’s Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds by P.R. Ehrlich, D.S. Dobkin, D.S. and D. Wheye, published 1988 by Simon and Schuster.
- Birds of New York State, by R.E. Budliger and G. Kennedy, published 2005 by Lone Pine Publishing.
- Birds of New York State, Including the 1976 Supplement, by J. Bull, published 1974 by Comstock Publishing Associates.
- The New York City Audubon Society Guide to Finding Birds in the Metropolitan Area by Marcia T. Fowle and Paul Kerlinger, published 2001 by Cornell University Press
- The Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New York State, edited by Kevin J. McGowan and Kimberley Corwin, published 2008 by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior, edited by C. Elphick, J.B. Dunning, and D.A. Sibley, published 2001 by Alfred A. Knopf.
- The Sibley Guide to Birds, by D.A. Sibley, published 2000 by Alfred A. Knopf.
- Attracting Native Pollinators: The Xerces Society Guide to Conserving North American Bees and Butterflies and Their Habitat, by the Xerces Society, published 2011.
- Butterflies of North America, by J.P. Brock, J.P. & K. Kaufmann, published 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Insects that Feed on Trees and Shrubs, 2nd ed., by W.T. Johnson and H.H. Lyon, published 1991 Comstock Published Associates.
- Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, by Eric R. Eaton and Kenn Kaufman, published 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders, by L. and M. Milne, published 1980 by Alfred A. Knopf.
- The Pollinator Conservation Handbook, by Matthew Shepherd, Stephen L. Buchmann, Mace Vaughan, Scott Hoffman Black, published 2003.
- Kaufman Field Guide to Mammals of North America by Nora Bowers, Kenn Kaufman and Rick Bowers, published 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Mammal Tracks and Signs: A Guide to North American Species by Mark Elbroch, published 2003 by Stackpole Books.
- Petersen Field Guide to Mammals of North America, 4th Edition by Fiona Reid, published 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Whales, Dolphins, and Other Marine Mammals of the World, by Hadoram Shirihai and Brett Jarrett, published 2006 by Princeton Field Guides.
- The Diversity of Fishes by Gene Helfman, Bruce Collette and Douglas Facey, published 1997 by Wiley-Blackwell.
- The Most Important Fish in the Sea: Menhaden and America by H.B. Franklin, published 2007 by Island Press.
- Petersen Field Guide to Atlantic Coast Fishes: North America by C. Richard Robins and Carleton Ray, published 1999 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Petersen Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes: North America North of Mexico by Lawrence M. Page and Brooks M. Burr, published 1991 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Whales, Dolphins, and Other Marine Mammals of the World, by Hadoram Shirihai and Brett Jarrett, published 2006 by Princeton Field Guides
BOOKS/Reptiles and Amphibians:
- The Amphibians and Reptiles of New York State: Identification, Natural History and Conservation, by J. Gibbs et al., published 2007 by Oxford University Press.
- Petersen Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America by Roger Conant and Joseph T. Collins, published 1998 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Armitage’s Garden Perennials by A. M. Armitage, published 2000 by Timber Press.
- Coastal Plants from Cape Cod to Cape Canaveral by I.H. Stuckey and L.L. Gould, published 2000 by The University of North Carolina Press.
- Dirr’s Hardy Trees and Shrubs by M.A. Dirr, published 1997 by Timber Press.
- Introductory Plant Biology, Edition Nine by K.R. Stern, S. Jansky, and J.E. Bidlack, published 2003 by McGraw-Hill.
- Native Plants of the Northeast: A Guide for Gardening and Conservation by D. J. Leopold, published 2005 by Timber Press.
- National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees, Eastern Region by E.L. Little, published 1980 by Alfred A. Knopf.
- National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers, Eastern Region revised by J.W. Theiret, published 2001 by Alfred A. Knopf.
- Native Species Planting Guide for New York City and Vicinity by D. Luttenberg, D. Lev, and M. Feller, published 1993 by Natural Resources Group, City of New York, Parks and Recreation.
- Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide by L. Newcomb, published 1977 by Little, Brown & Company.
- New York City Trees: A Field Guide for the Metropolitan Area by E.S. Barnard, published 2002 by Columbia University Press.
- Birdwatching Magazine
- Bird Watchers’ Digest
- Native Plant Journal
- Nature Conservancy Magazine
- Wildflower Magazine
- Alley Pond Environmental Center
- American Littoral Society – National Office
- American Littoral Society – Northeast Chapter
- Animal Diversity Web/University of Michigan
- Brooklyn Bird Club
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Coastal Research and Education Society of Long Island
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Diamondback Terrapin Working Group
- Friends of Hempstead Plains
- Idlewild Salt Marsh Environmental Center
- International Union for Conservation of Nature
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Linnaean Society of New York
- National Audubon Society
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Nature Conservancy
- New York Botanical Garden
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Integrated Pest Management Program
- New York State Parks
- New York Turtle and Tortoise Society
- North American Butterfly Association
- NYC Audubon
- NYC Department of Parks and Recreation
- Opossum Society of the United States
- Queens Botanical Garden
- Queens County Bird Club
- Staten Island Greenbelt
- Staten Island Museum
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service
- Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
Have a book, website or magazine you’d like to recommend? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 All rights reserved
NYC Nature News is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.